CBD for Weight Loss
Generally, weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you burn throughout a day. If you have crossed the BMI of 30, it means you have ventured into the category of being obese. Most of us go through several waves of weight gain during our lifetime. And then we reach a point where we wish we shouldn’t have gained so much weight. Most people resort to different weight loss methods thereafter.
In this article, we will discuss how CBD can help you lose weight. But before that, let’s have a look at the causes of weight gain and traditional weight loss methods.
Obesity and Weight Loss
Hormonal changes are the leading cause of weight gain. They directly affect our appetite, making us eat more or less. For example, being overworked and not getting enough sleep can trigger hormonal changes in your body that can make you crave high-calorie foods. By adding these to your daily maintenance calories, your weight will increase.
Second, pregnancy also causes weight gain. Your body experiences many hormonal changes during this time. These changes, in turn, cause your body to store stubborn fat cells in many localized areas, such as the tummy, sides, love handles, and upper back.
Aging is yet another major cause of obesity. Not only do we significantly lose muscle mass as we age, but our metabolism rate also slows down. This means you can end up eating the same amount of food you always have, with the same level of activity, but your body just processes it much slower. Pair this natural change with something like arthritis or osteoarthritis, and you will be dealing with chronic pain while moving around. This can lead to a decrease in activity, pushing your maintenance calories to excess.
Another reason why so many people gain weight is their poor lifestyle. For example, many individuals don’t do workouts. Then there are others who eat more high-fat foods. As such, they quickly gain weight.
Studies show that an average woman will gain around 7 pounds in her late 20s to late 30s. And men in this same age bracket gain close to double that weight. By the time you are a senior, you find that you are carrying extra undesirable pounds. Being overweight will not only affect your body aesthetics but also expose you to many health problems.
Overweight or obese individuals are at a significantly higher risk for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, strokes, heart disease, and sleep apnea, amongst others. To reduce these risks, weight gain must be nipped in the bud before it becomes severe.
Weight Loss Methods
There are many ways to lose excessive body weight, with some working like magic for specific individuals and failing altogether for others. It is a good idea to give multiple weight loss methods a shot to achieve your weight loss goal.
Let’s have a look at some of those methods.
- Dieting – The most common weight-loss method is dieting. This involves keeping an eye on the foods you eat and making dietary changes. For example, people trying to lose weight often increase their fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole-grain intake and avoid fast foods. If you are sensitive to gluten, going gluten-free may help you lose weight.
- Counting Your Calorie Intake – The number of calories your body needs to function depends on your physical activity. Determining the number of your maintenance calories and adjusting your meals based on calorie count can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Burn Fat – If dietary changes seem difficult or if they didn’t work for you, burning calories might just help you shed some weight. By cranking up your physical activities, your body will burn more fat.
- CBD Products – It makes sense to look for alternatives like CBD oil if none of the above methods worked for you. However, be sure to ask your doctor if it is OK for you to try CBD for weight loss. It is recommended that you don’t just start taking CBD oil on your own, just in case you are already using any medication that might have an adverse reaction with the CBD.
CBD and its Effects on Metabolism
Cannabinoids or CBD is a compound found in the hemp plant. It is the same base plant that marijuana comes from, but the two are different substances. Marijuana is a hallucinogenic drug packed with Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD has less than 0.3% THC content, making it vastly different from the psychoactive variant THC. Many people believe that CBD is effective for weight loss. But how exactly does it help? Let’s have a look.
How is CBD Beneficial For Weight Loss
CBD is commonly used as a remedy for pain. While there aren’t many definitive human trials or studies to endorse the effects of CBD usage, many people who used CBD reported that it helped them lose weight.
Based on the findings of a few studies, here are the ways CBD catalyzes weight loss:
CBD is an appetite suppressor. The loss of appetite may be a side effect for some people, but it can be useful if you are trying to lose some extra pounds. In other words, this compound indirectly causes you to eat fewer calories compared to what you would usually eat. This way, even if your physical activity level remains the same, the gap between calories consumed and burned will decrease. As such, you can expect to lose weight without much struggle.
A preliminary study done on animals in 2012 showed that in addition to reducing appetite, CBD led to a boost in metabolism. It is assumed that a similar effect replicates in humans. This suggests that the calories you eat would be burned by your body at an exceedingly high rate, even when your body is at rest.
Converts White Fat into Brown Fat
White fat is generally considered bad because it is stubborn and takes up a significant amount of space, affecting your overall aesthetic appearance and triggering health problems. On the other hand, brown fat, which is present in small quantities throughout the body, helps regulate body temperature in colder environments. This form of fat contains a significantly larger amount of mitochondria than white fat. This means that the body can harness it as a source of energy.
A study done in 2016 by Hilal Ahmad Parray & Jong Won Yun found the CBD interacts with body fat in many ways. For example, it activates the white fat and converts it into brown fat, which your body will consume as a source of energy. In this way, CBD helps to flush out white fat from your body, preventing health issues that may otherwise result from obesity.
CBD for Weight Loss: Where to Start?
The first thing you have to decide is how you want to consume the CBD. You can’t really go for a topical lotion or spray version when it comes to weight loss. You have to use a version that your body can digest.
Typically, there are three types of consumable CBD products:
- CBD capsules
- Using a vaporizer
- CBD oil
- CBD Gummies (sugar free variety)
Each of these comes with its own pros and cons. Taking an additional tablet every day can be an annoying extra step in your routine. On the other hand, vaporizers with any chemical or oil are not recommended by the Centre for Disease Control (CDC) after an increased number of respiratory or pulmonary diseases were reported across the US. You should also steer clear of any sort of substance inhalation to protect your lungs when you’re older anyway.
The safe and easy way to use CBD is by consuming it in the form of CBD oil. Let’s discuss how you can choose and use the best CBD oil for weight loss.
How to Pick the Best CBD Oil for Weight Loss
When you’re on the lookout for the best CBD oil for weight loss, you must look for companies or brands that use locally grown organic hemp plants for their products. It’s even better if they do their own lab testing and have quality certificates. These would either be on their websites or included in the packaging of the products. Since there are many mixed and even fake CBD brands out there, this is the only way you can find a reliable CBD product.
How to Use CBD Oil for Weight Loss
There are two main ways that you can consume CBD hemp oil for weight loss. The first is just using it as it is. As the most common packaging, CBD oil comes in a small bottle with a dropper. It is a good idea to work with your doctor to determine an ideal dosage. All you have to do is fill up the dropper and administer the oil underneath your tongue. Generally, you have to keep it in your mouth for about 30 – 60 seconds before swallowing it but your doctor can tell you the best way to use it, based on your unique situation.
Consuming CBD oil is the best method of the product’s administration; the only downside is that CBD oil does not taste particularly good. However, there are flavored varieties available, such as lemon. You can also incorporate CBD oil into your food. This way, you can consume it without even having to taste it!
Here are our top 5 recommendations for CBD infused foods!
- Add it in your coffee – Most of us love to start the day with a mug of coffee or tea. While adding sweetener to your hot drink of the day, it is good to use the dropper to add your required dosage of CBD oil to your coffee or tea. Stir it up and let it stay there for a minute or two, so the oil properly mixes in the beverage before you drink it.
- Add it in your salad – Take your favorite vegetables, greens, and proteins and mix them up. Before you add the salad dressing, sprinkle the recommended dosage of CBD on the salad dressing, and mix it properly. Once the two are fully incorporated, you can toss your salad and have it as usual!
- Add it in guacamole – Guacamole is a low-effort snack. If you like to eat guacamole, add a few drops of CBD oil into it and let it sit for about two hours before munching on it. By doing so, you’ll actually consume your CBD dosage without even noticing it.
- Add it to your cooking oil – When you’re cooking just about anything, you can make CBD part of your meals. First, separate the oil needed for the cooking and mix the right amount of CBD oil into it. Let it sit for a few minutes, mix it up, and cook your dishes with it.
CBD and Weight Gain
Although CBD ends up suppressing appetite in most cases, some people have reported the opposite effect: an increase in appetite! Since CBD affects the appetite receptors in general, it’s possible that it can sway to either suppress or increase appetite, depending on the type of CBD product and the person consuming it. In a 2018 review, it was found that only 6% of the people who took CBD reported that they experienced an increase in appetite.
CBD is not a proven medical treatment, and it comes with some side effects for certain individuals. It’s only something that you can additionally use to help with pain alleviation and weight loss. If you want to use CBD, be sure to consult with your doctor. The physician will give you an expert opinion after assessing your overall health and underlying medical conditions.
Since CBD doesn’t work for everyone, you will have to monitor your weight when using it. While it generally expedites weight loss, in case your weight increases, stop CBD consumption right away. Also, you have to make lifestyle choices that will work together with the CBD to achieve your desired results. Eating healthy and exercising along with CBD consumption may help you achieve your weight, health, and aesthetic goals.